Summary: Describes BiAffect, an iOS app that monitors patterns in users’ keypad use to detect whether they are having manic or depressive episodes.
Possible Discussion Questions:
- What are some potential long-term benefits to users of this app?
- If you had bipolar disorder, what questions or concerns might you have about this app before deciding to use it?
- About accuracy?
- About privacy?
- What are some advantages of this app over monitoring by a trained psychologist or psychiatrist?
- What are some disadvantages of the app, in comparison with a trained professional?
- This app was developed in response to the Mood Challenge contest, which specifically challenges participants to develop for Apple’s ResearchKit platform.
- What are some potential advantages to encouraging medical software development around a specific platform?
- What are some disadvantages?
Connecting to the CSP Framework:
- LO 7.1.1 Explain how computing innovations affect communication, interaction, and cognition.
- EK 7.1.1N The Internet and the Web have changed many areas, including e-commerce, health care, access to information and entertainment, and online learning.
- LO 7.2.1 Explain how computing has impacted innovations in other fields.
- EK 7.2.1A Machine learning and data mining have enabled innovation in medicine, business, and science.
- LO 7.3.1 Analyze the beneficial and harmful effects of computing.
- EK 7.3.1A Innovations enabled by computing raise legal and ethical concerns.
- EK 7.3.1G Privacy and security concerns arise in the development and use of computational systems and artifacts.