Published By: University of Southampton, 9/15/2016
Researchers are planning to develop software that can monitor and gather data on the performance and efficiency of a marine vessel. Through the use of machine learning, this data would then be applied to create an ideal balance between efficient performance and ship integrity, lowering maintenance and operational costs.
Extended Discussion Questions
- The article talks about how the SEA-CORES software could, for example, reduce ship downtime and maintenance costs through live monitoring and machine learning. What other aspects of ship operations do you think could benefit from tracking and analyzing data?
- The article mentions how the domain that SEA-CORES is targeting is “data poor”. What might be some potential challenges that developers face when trying to introduce new data analysis techniques in a data poor domain? What are some other domains that may suffer from being data poor?
Relating This Story to the CSP Curriculum Framework
Global Impact Learning Objectives:
- LO 7.2.1 Explain how computing has impacted innovations in other fields.
Global Impact Essential Knowledge:
- EK 7.2.1A Machine learning and data mining have enabled innovation in medicine, business, and science.
Other CSP Big Ideas:
- Idea 3 Data and Information
Banner Image: “Network Visualization – Violet – Crop 4”, derivative work by ICSI. New license: CC BY-SA 4.0. Based on “Social Network Analysis Visualization” by Martin Grandjean. Original license: CC BY-SA 3.0