Published By: ETH News/Globe Magazine, 09/17/2016
A new exoskeleton design seeks to lower the recovery time for stroke victims in rehabilitation. Researchers are investigating the exoskeleton design to observe whether patients can use their mind to perform basic actions with their numb limbs. The exoskeleton design provides a more natural path towards recovery through reintegrating the use of paralyzed limbs.
Extended Discussion Questions
- If the exoskeleton design is successful, what impact will this have on the future of therapy and rehabilitation for stroke patients?
- What other types of therapy and rehabilitation could the exoskeleton design help with? Why would it help?
- What other types of computing innovations can you think of that have been used to improve physical therapy?
Relating This Story to the CSP Curriculum Framework
Global Impact Learning Objectives:
- LO 7.1.1 Explain how computing innovations affect communication, interaction, and cognition.
- LO 7.2.1 Explain how computing has impacted innovations in other fields.
Global Impact Essential Knowledge:
- EK 7.1.1L Computing contributes to many assistive technologies that enhance human capabilities.
- EK 7.2.1G Advances in computing as an enabling technology have generated and increased the creativity in other fields.
Banner Image: “Network Visualization – Violet – Crop 3”, derivative work by ICSI. New license: CC BY-SA 4.0. Based on “Social Network Analysis Visualization” by Martin Grandjean. Original license: CC BY-SA 3.0