Published By: NBC News, 1/6/2017
Alexa, Amazon’s voice-operated artificial intelligence assistant, is becoming more widely used in a variety of products, as more companies build and implement Alexa-based systems. This allows people to control items like their cars, refrigerators, or home climate control systems with just their voice, often remotely.
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level of Article: 12.6
Extended Discussion Questions
- The article asserts that voice recognition in vehicles will be a huge asset in the future. What are some advantages of being able to use your voice to interact with your car?
- What are some advantages of being able to remotely operate inanimate objects like refrigerators and heating systems?
- Besides those we’ve discussed already, can you think of some other products that could be improved by voice recognition? What additional uses or impacts could those products have if they had voice recognition?
- The article describes the positives of AI assistants like Alexa, but can you think of any negative impacts that could arise?
- For example, what kind of data does it give rise to? Who could get that data? What could they do with it?
- What could developers do to reduce those negative impacts?
Relating This Story to the CSP Curriculum Framework
Global Impact Learning Objectives:
- LO 7.1.1 Explain how computing innovations affect communication, interaction, and cognition.
Global Impact Essential Knowledge:
- EK 7.3.1G Privacy and security concerns arise in the development and use of computational systems and artifacts.
Banner Image: “Network Visualization – Violet – Offset Crop”, derivative work by ICSI. New license: CC BY-SA 4.0. Based on “Social Network Analysis Visualization” by Martin Grandjean. Original license: CC BY-SA 3.0