Published By: Georgia Tech News Center, 1/9/2017
>> View the Article <<
Georgia Technical University is working on ways to improve Jill Watson, an artificial intelligence system that fills the role of a virtual teaching assistant. The goal of this project is to increase efficiency of online student assistance.
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level of Article: 9.4
Extended Discussion Questions
- How does the testing of Jill Watson demonstrate human participation in a computational problem-solving process?
- The article mentions that Professor Ashok Goel told his students some of the teaching assistants were human and some were not.
- What are are some characteristics of a human teaching assistant that a virtual teaching assistant cannot replicate?
- What are are some characteristics of a virtual teaching assistant that a human teaching assistant cannot replicate ?
Relating This Story to the CSP Curriculum Framework
Global Impact Learning Objectives:
- LO 7.1.1 Explain how computing innovations affect communication, interaction, and cognition.
- LO 7.1.2 Explain how people participate in a problem-solving process that scales.
- LO 7.2.1 Explain how computing has impacted innovations in other fields.
Global Impact Essential Knowledge:
- EK 7.2.1G Advances in computing as an enabling technology have generated and increased the creativity in other fields.
Other CSP Big Ideas:
- Idea 1 Creativity
Banner Image: “Network Visualization – Violet – Offset Crop”, derivative work by ICSI. New license: CC BY-SA 4.0. Based on “Social Network Analysis Visualization” by Martin Grandjean. Original license: CC BY-SA 3.0