Published By: UCLA Newsroom, 10/31/2016
>> View the Article <<
Computer scientists from UCLA have developed a secure, one-way communication technique similar in concept to mailing a lock box and later mailing the key to open the lockbox. The technique was developed to ensure messages sent over a network are not altered. The new innovation has wide applications that could benefit many businesses.
Extended Discussion Questions
- The article mentions several examples of “secure multi-party computation”, where multiple parties need to determine whether their data matches without revealing it to each other. Can you think of any other examples?
- Generally, can you think of other scenarios where data integrity (i.e., guaranteeing data hasn’t been tampered with) is important?
Global Impact Learning Objectives:
- LO 7.1.1 Explain how computing innovations affect communication, interaction, and cognition.
- LO 7.2.1 Explain how computing has impacted innovations in other fields.
Global Impact Essential Knowledge:
- EK 7.2.1C Computing enables innovation by providing the ability to access and share information.
Other Big Ideas:
- Idea 6 The Internet
Banner Image: “Network Visualization – Violet – Crop 2”, derivative work by ICSI. New license: CC BY-SA 4.0. Based on “Social Network Analysis Visualization” by Martin Grandjean. Original license: CC BY-SA 3.0
Home › Forums › UCLA Computer Scientists Develop Data Integrity Method to Prevent Tampering
Tagged: 6 The Internet, 7.1.1 Interaction and cognition, 7.2.1 Impact in other fields, 7.2.1C Sharing info