Published By: The Verge, 10/28/2016
The Verge discusses the possibility of election machine hacking, along with other factors that could affect vote tallying and the results of an election.
Extended Discussion Questions
- What are some of the benefits of voting with computers over voting with paper? What are some disadvantages?
- What changes to the existing voting system could improve your confidence in the system?
“Study: People Can Tell If They Are Voting on a Secure System”
Published By: Rice University, 10/28/2016 || View the Article
Describes a study of voter confidence in paper ballots with different levels of security features.
Relating This Story to the CSP Curriculum Framework
Global Impact Learning Objectives:
- LO 7.3.1 Analyze the beneficial and harmful effects of computing.
- >LO 7.4.1 Explain the connections between computing and real-world contexts, including economic, social, and cultural contexts.
Global Impact Essential Knowledge:
- EK 7.3.1A Innovations enabled by computing raise legal and ethical concerns.
- EK 7.3.1G Privacy and security concerns arise in the development and use of computational systems and artifacts.
Banner Image: “Network Visualization – Violet – Crop 14”, derivative work by ICSI. New license: CC BY-SA 4.0. Based on “Social Network Analysis Visualization” by Martin Grandjean. Original license: CC BY-SA 3.0